Do you know the true value of your software? Are you sure?
Technical debt is a real cost. Whether you're looking at it from the perspective of a venture capitalist or CEO, or from the viewpoint of a CIO or CTO, or you're trying to determine if a merger or acquisition makes sense, knowing how much money is required to "pay back" your software's technical debt may be the very factor that proves your decision to be a good one or a very costly one.
In a Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation, Cutter's Senior Consultants examine the quality of the software under examination through technical and business lenses. Whether that code is your own, has been developed by an acquisition candidate, or by a company you're investing (more) in, Cutter's Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation will enable you to:
- Get the vital answer to the question "Is your software an asset or a liability?"
- Know how much (more) money you will need to invest in order to fix the code.
- Get data and insights you need to guide the fix-it process for the software.
- Identify projects that are likely to get in trouble at an early stage of the software life cycle
- Determine if the technical debt is keeping your software development staff from responding quickly and effectively to customer requests
Plus, you'll get the tools you need to govern the software development process on an on-going basis to avoid the expense of future technical debt.
In a Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation, Cutter's Senior Consultants will identify the architecture, design, coding, testing and documentation deficits that constitute technical debt.
Ward Cunningham on Technical Debt
Cutter Fellow Ward Cunningham on the origins of the phrase "Technical Debt", common misapplications, and what the Technical Debt metaphor really means.
When I deal with technical debt issues, I refer to Cutter Consortium regularly. Their approach is the only one I've found that actually works when translated from the theoretical into the context of an organization.
The assessment combines static code analytics with dynamic program analytics to give you "x-rays" of the software being examined at any desired granularity. You'll get a report and/or presentation that provide you with a dollar figure you can plug into your financial models so that you can objectively analyze your critical software assets. Easy-to-understand graphics depicting the quality of your code and the cost of your technical debt will enable your team to zero in on the most hazardous projects and fix them in a prioritized manner. And you'll get operational recommendations that take into account various qualitative and quantitative factors that characterize your software development process. These recommendations will help you make the best decisions about your ongoing strategy for this software development effort.
Cutter Consortium was called into a software organization by its venture capital firm to conduct a Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation. The code to be evaluated had been acquired two years prior. Until the organization built the capability to develop the code in its US headquarters, the development had continued through an outsourcing company in another country. The assessment came just as the company was about to release ~200K lines of Java code.
Customizable for Your Needs
Our Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation can provide value to a vast array of stakeholders, including:
- CIOs, looking to ensure delivery over development?
- CTOs, in search of early warning signs your development project is in trouble?
- CEOs, responsible for governing the development process effectively and ensuring the execution of corresponding go-to-market plans in a reliable manner?
- VCs, determining how much (more) money to invest in your portfolio company?
- M&A/due diligence investigators, in need of assurance that code you're acquiring isn't toxic?
We will take into account your specific needs and goals to develop an assessment optimized for you.
More on Technical Debt:
- Case Study: Software Development Organization
- Validating Legacy Code: Modernization Strategies Through Technical Debt Assessments
- Quantifying the Start Afresh Option
- Self-Insuring Your Software
Add More Value to This Engagement
Cutter's Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation is well-paired with our Agile Assessment, a quantitative and qualitative analysis of an organization's use of agile methods, software engineering practices, and project management skills and capabilities. When the two are conducted jointly, Cutter will present your team with an integrated plan for addressing software quality deficits and software process deficits.
For more details, or to arrange your Technical Debt Assessment and Valuation, contact your Cutter Account Executive by email, call +1 781 648 8700, or complete the form below.